Sunday 25 October 2009

On the other side of the road

To those who know me, it will comes as no surprise that I love America. Having just returned I thought I would share some of those things I think work or amuse me most.

Anyone who drives in the US must love the law that lets you turn right on a right light; it would be left in our case. I think this is inspired and really enables traffic to flow, especially at busy times. I love the current deal from Chevrolet that offers you a 60-day no-quibble, money-back guarantee on all of its cars and any country that can insist that if you want to advertise pharmaceuticals, then you have to include all the side effects; now that makes for amusing television.

I like David Beckham; yes, that well known Californian, who came 7th in the list of people Americans' most admire (and highest of all the sportspeople on the list), after Brad Pitt (1st), Bill Gates, Barrack Obama, Donald Trump, Hugh Hefner and George Clooney (6th). Don’t let anybody tell you the Beckhams are not going down a storm in the US.

And the public address announcement heard while shopping in a high-end department store that said “Ladies, why not visit our shoe department today and take advantage of our 10-day money-back guarantee, if you are not completely satisfied with your purchase.” Now that’s marketing!


Gareth

No comments: