Wednesday 27 October 2010

Please send your PIN by return


Nearly one in five credit card users choose their birthday date as their PIN number, research indicates. Of those, 67% said they need a memorable number.

21% admitted that they had given their PIN to a friend and 3% to a work colleague. Of those in relationships, 64% admitted that their partner knew their PIN number.

Although 11% of those surveyed had been the victims of identity fraud in the past, the study suggested that poor choice of PINs was indicative of a general lax attitude towards credit card security in general. Over half of those with multiple credit cards had the same number for every card, despite the obvious security risk.

The study comes at a time when personal information is more freely available than ever. With millions of people in the UK using social networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace, it is becoming easier than ever to obtain data such as birth dates.

Gareth Osborne said: “My Bank recently rejected my credit card when I was in Europe and told me I had to tell them when I was away from home. The Police tell me that you should only tell people you absolutely trust when you are away from home. So that rules the Bank out!”

Shelley, APA

No comments: