Wednesday 22 July 2009

Jones the Cash

Is he starting to annoy anyone else, or is it just me? Peter Jones, the Jolly Green Giant of Dragon’s Den, is running a serious risk of taking that fatal step from credible businessman to celebrity; and worse believing his celebrity status, and going for the showbiz dollar. When he was presented with a CBE in April by the Queen at Windsor I thought it was great news for innovators and business, little did I know it stood for Celebrity with Burgeoning Ego.

In Dragon’s Den where he is unquestionably a genius he has won hero status but to go from there to singing for Children-in-Need, while worthy, was a seriously bad judgement call. But his worst decision to date has to be his foray into advertising for moneysupermarket.com where someone has conned him into losing all his dignity and riding around a set on a shopping trolley. He should have applied some of his wisdom shared with investees when assessing this one – “You haven’t thought it through, it isn’t a serious business opportunity”.

I have to admit he would make a great Darth Vader but I really wish he hadn’t had to cross to the Dark Side to get the role. In my mind the score so far is Business Credibility Nil, Celebrity Fees 1. Definitely a home goal Peter!

What does anyone else think?

Gareth
Photo by John Stillwell/WPA/Getty Images

4 comments:

Tom Amos, Delivery said...

That's a bit tough on Peter Jones, I agree the advert is cringingly awful but he can be excused for doing his own promotion (I assume its one of his businessses is it?).

He must have watched it himself and will be sitting there regreting it but he isn't be the first to believe his own PR. My Boss is saying something aboyt Victor Kiam who did it years ago.

I still think he's a good guy!

Lucy said...

I would!

Tracy Carter FAPA said...

Hi Gareth, sorry I've been quiet for a few weeks but I'm back and I had to respond - have you put a bug in my office? my office has only recently had a discussion about how annoying 'that' advert is - it would've been better if they'd found a shopping trolley that fitted him! Philip (my boss) recently listened to him speak at an IoD event and thought he was very impressive, I just think he is gorgeous!

Gareth, APA said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah - I'm sure he is 'perfect Peter' but we need some great business icons in this country and he is standing very close to the same celebrity chasm that consumed Danny Baker, Terry Wogan and Noel Edmunds first time around. Its that giant step from hero to zero he risks taking - over-exposure is so much more than a criminal offence!

I'd rather 'Peter the Business' than 'Peter the Buffoon'.