Monday 8 February 2010

Kill nonsense cold calls

I don’t often use the blog to sound off but I have been called twice today by people looking to sell me services I didn’t ask for (one a bank and the other a car breakdown service). Now I have no problem with sales calls; we all need to make them, but I do object to being asked to confirm my details.

When I refused to confirm my address for the bank I added “You should know; you called me!” I was told it was for data protection purposes. Need-less-to-say, I put the phone down. Does it annoy you or is it just me? Surely I should be checking that they are really who they say they are! Giving out personal data to anyone who phones and asks seems mighty risky to me!

Aimee Lewis FAPA

1 comment:

Gareth, APA said...

Hi Aimee, I'll check this out. It does seem crazy to give out personal data to cold callers but I recognise we have all been progressively conned into it. It will give me an excuse to look at the Data Protection Act and the Financial Services Act again (joyous!).