Friday 2 December 2011

The bigger they are the later they pay ...


I don’t often use this forum for gripes but there is one thing that has always annoyed me and it does affect us all. It relates to those large businesses that operate holier-than-thou corporate policies and then abuse small organisations by taking advantages of them, demanding excessive discounts and taking unreasonable credit by paying their bills late.

I felt so strongly about this issue that it became my raison d’être when I was a member of the Cabinet’s small business advisory panel. As a result of this passion I subsequently went on to co-write the recommendation to Government for the introduction of processes to ensure small business gets a fairer crack-of-the-whip.

Again this week I have been wound-up by a number of UK blue-chip organisations that are taking advantage of APA (a classic smaller business). One has overcharged us by £1,000; and dismissed it as an oversight. One has failed to pay an already extended and discounted invoice and one more has suddenly decided to take payment from our credit card (42 days) ahead of providing the service. This thuggish behaviour should not be tolerated and it certainly isn’t here – I will update you if I don’t get suitable apologies – and will definitely stop using the businesses concerned services.

Gareth, APA

No comments: