Friday 20 November 2009

The Art of Compromise

What an anti-climax! After months of speculation and the chance to elevate Europe to a politically effective level, compromise wins the day as usual.

Belgian Prime Minister Herman Van Rompuy will become President of the European Council and our own Baroness Cathy Ashton, formerly a Labour Party member of the British House of Lords and latterly EU trade commissioner, will be the foreign policy representative (whatever that means). But who has heard of them? I had to go to my copy of DOD’s Parliamentary Companion to find out anything; hardly a great endorsement for allegedly high office. So what do these choices tell us about the EU's alleged ambitions?

It shows just how difficult progress is to achieve in the face of competing interests and where a principle of comprise demands a particularly low level of achievement. It also shows us that despite rhetoric for a stronger Europe many of the bigger personalities of Europe (Sarkozy, Merkel and Brown) don’t want to be out shone on the world stage. But you also have to consider that Mr Van Rompuy is a well known Federalist and his appointment must send up a flare to suggest that European integration is far from over

APA already works closely with the EU, European Commission and MEPs and will continue to keep watching brief on the situation as it develops. As always, Members views are welcome.


Gareth, APA

4 comments:

Gary Upwell, Charterhouse Lees said...

I'm with you Gareth, what a bland choice! This is another case of the plain leading the tasteless. I would rather have had the flamboyant Mr Berlisconi setting the pace; at least he would keep us amused.

Debbie Strange, UBS said...

Ha, ha Gary. I was just reading this when your comment flashed up.

I wonder if anyone thought of 'promoting' Mr Brown into the role. I think we have dome it in the past to hide the odd no-hoper!

Gareth, APA said...

Great comments guys. I especially like Debbie's notion but elevation to the Lords is the usual method for getting rid of wayward politicians; perhaps that's why there are so many peers!

I was hoping the EU had the guts to select someone strong and charismatic. Silly me!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.