Sunday 26 December 2010

The jury's still out

I’m not sure how I feel about the Rt. Hon. Vince Cable MP, Secretary of State for Business, appearing on Strictly Come Christmas Dancing last night. I worry when the serious job of Member of Parliament (let alone Cabinet Minister) is confused with celebrity. I’m not sure I will see beyond the dancer when I next meet him to discuss issues of serious concern to our Members.

Still, I have to say it was better than the Dragons' move towards celebrity and especially Peter Jones’s attempt at acting the fool in his shopping trolley adverts. In his case I now see him as a definite contender for Strictly Orchestral, where he can play the buffoon.

I have always said that meeting Government Ministers is like a sparring session in boxing; you try and get a punch in against some pretty fair defending, you work hard to score some points but generally leave feeling like you have gone twelve rounds against a strong opponent. I will have to brush up on my footwork before my next visit to the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS).

I would be interested to hear what Members think. The question is: Are we human? Or are we dancer? Check out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RIZdjT1472Y


Gareth, APA

1 comment:

Sarah Tiddy FAPA said...

I thought he was quite good and probably a close second but I can see what you are saying .... it would be like seeing your doctor on 'How to look good naked'. The fact he might doesn't mean to say he should!!!

Happy New Year APA.