Friday 8 July 2011

It occurs to me ...


If I was Greggs, I would be fighting to keep Helen Milligan in the organisation. Knowing what I now know about her, I would find a subsidiary business and make her the MD or do exactly what Lord S is doing and fund her into a ‘bakery-related’ or peripherally relevant start-up and give her a route to share ownership. Why on earth would you willingly lose such a talent to Baron Barrow Boy of Clapton (motto: you’ve gotta smell what’ll sell!).

As the CEO of a business you establish the closest working relationship with your PA; based on trust, mutual understanding and co-operation. As a PA you build a unique relationship with your boss and few understand the way they do business better than you. So, who would you trust more to lead a project or new venture than your PA. Perhaps more PAs should be looking for internal opportunities to expand their role and long term financial security?

Gareth Osborne, APA

No comments: