Thursday 3 May 2012

A sticky situation


Now call me Mr. Angry and I don’t often use this space to gripe but chewing gum is starting to take over my life. Within the last two weeks I have had it ‘thoughtfully’ left on the seat I used on a train into London; causing me to attend meetings all day with it stuck to my rear. I escaped the tube recently in Leicester Square to find a myriad of Council workers with high pressure hoses trying to clean thousands of chewed and ejected globules from the pavement in the rain (it becomes a very slippery substance to walk on when it has impacted) and yesterday I ended the day with it stuck to my shoe.

Now, am I just unlucky or are the latex masticators targeting me for some earlier crime against Wrigleys?

For me the best way to control irresponsible chewers is to tax gum; the Chancellor needs the money and the cleaning must cost a fortune, or do as they have done in Singapore, legislate against its import or sale (since 1992). If members have strong views (either way) please let us know.

PS. Does anyone know a way to get it off my suit!

Gareth, APA

1 comment:

Katie Manning said...

Hi Gareth,
I've heard about people putting clothing in the freezer to try and peel off chewing gum, but I've not tried it myself. Putting a tax on chewing gum certainly seems a fair solution given the cost to remove it from pavements.