Monday 4 May 2009

Are you a procrastinator?

Procrastination - putting things off - is said to be 'the thief of time' but in reality is a common, natural, human reaction to tasks that may seem in some way difficult or challenging. However, severe procrastination that leads to feelings of wretchedness or extreme anxiety may need addressing. For PAs it is a negative trait and must be overcome at all costs. Here are the signs to watch for:

Procrastinators tend to:

  • Find it difficult to make a start - ‘I’m waiting till I’m in the right mood/inspired’,

  • Create diversions – ‘before I start, I’ll just..tidy up/check my emails/have a snack/etc.’,

  • Waste time by working ineffectively – ‘I spent time on the task but have nothing to show for it’,

  • Rush at the last minute – ‘I work better under pressure’,

  • Miss deadlines – then feel guilty, disappointed and reproachful.

Commonly procrastination is mistakenly perceived as laziness. Essentially, however, procrastination is caused by inner conflict where there is a want (or need) to do something, matched with a corresponding resistance to doing it. Energy to prepare to act and then to execute the act does not ‘flow’ so there is inaction and then conflict leading to frustration and failure.

It can be overcome with determination and strong support from those around you - a good tip if you think this is you is to come clean, admit your failing and ask for assistance from your Boss or a colleague.

Carly FAPA

APA Members can visit the Knowledge Zone in the Members area f the website for a more detailed explanation and some tips on what to do to over procrastination.

2 comments:

Garth, APA said...

Hi Carly,

Just came into the Blog to answer something else but thought I shouldn't put off reading this for a moment longer! Good piece by the way.

Aimee Lewis FAPA said...

Thanks, very useful item Carly. I have downloaded the full article from the website and plan to use it tomorrow. I have a receptionist/office junior who I now realise has a Grade 'A' GCSE in procrastination. I will try some of the recommended actions and let you know how it goes.