Friday 20 March 2009

Stimulating Management Thinking


Whilst in the mood for recommending things, I thought I should share my favourite management book with you. ‘The One Minute Manager’ by Dr. Ken Blanchard (et al) is perhaps the simplest, most straight forward and thought provoking business book (actually a series of books, all with similar titles) that I have had the pleasure to read. I say simple because it is written as a fable, it consists of very few words, it has few pages and is intended to be read, and re-read, in a short period of time. But its messages are clear and impactful.

I would certainly recommend it as a must read book for all PAs – who I passionate believe are managers in their own right (of time, diaries, the executive office and much, much more) - and I promise it will trigger thought and debate. It might even change your life.

This book works at a number of levels, I usually give a copy to all staff new to management and I encourage more experienced managers to read it as a refresher. Others in the series; especially the brilliant ‘Leadership and the One Minute Manager’, focus on specific areas of the management role.

You can pick up the OMM at most airports and online at Amazon. They tend to be less than £5 per copy.

Gareth

3 comments:

Tracy Carter FAPA said...

I will certainly revisit this book. I also completely agree that a PA is a manager.

Anonymous said...

Thanks TC, I do hope you enjoy OMM on rereading it. One of the tips is to think who esle it might be useful for and pass it around internally. It's very simple but has real value.

On the PA as a Manager ... do you think we should start a national campaign to have this fact better recognised?

Anonymous said...

It's a thought Gareth. I think attitudes have changed and certainly my current Director has a very clear understanding of the role of PA. I do have PA friends who are regarded as a secretary which is quite frustrating for them.