Monday 9 March 2009

Telephone Interviews

Over the last two weeks I have been interviewing staff and had been told by a number of business friends that Telephone Interviewing is the new and best way for first round selection. I have to admit that I was sceptical; having convinced myself years ago that I like to see the ‘whites of their eyes’.

Well list me as a convert, I tried it and am totally addicted to it as an efficient, friendly and effective way to engage with contenders and cut out the expense of travelling. It works, it’s far more relaxed and you can use your time to structure questions, scribble notes and read the CV while your colleagues ask questions far better than doing it around the Board table.

Using a conference line where everyone dials in really worked for me.

I will currently insist on doing second round (final) interviews face-to-face but who knows, when we have better video conferencing connectivity, anything may be possible.

For additonal information APA Members can watch out for a detailed posting on this subject in the Knowledge Zone of the APA Website.


Gareth

No comments: