Sunday 21 June 2009

The generation that ask 'Y'

Although a self-professed party animal, now in my mid-twenties, I am from a fairly conservative background and had a conventional education; I consider myself pretty normal. However, I do struggle to understand some of the 'youngsters' who come looking for jobs but find it hard to demonstrate a work-ethic.

I have just read a report of new research from Ashridge Business School which suggests that business managers should look beyond harmful preconceptions about younger members of the workforce and reports that many business managers fail to understand 'Generation Y' workers and are unaware of how to help them achieve their full potential.

It suggests that firms which subscribe to commonly-held views about those under the age of 27 risk alienating young talented staff.The report points out these workers are not the technical geniuses they are often portrayed to be and they often have poor self-awareness compared to previous generations. Generation Y is said to be short of risk-takers and new entrants to the world of work may be less concerned about the environment than they are often professed to be.

I plan to have a chat with our HR advisers and see what they recommend but if it is true I think it might be time for a radical rethink of how our managers recruit and induct new juniors. Perhaps we are getting it wrong, what do others think?

Aimee Lewis FAPA

No comments: