Tuesday 28 April 2009

Are you calm under pressure?

Let's face it, we are all under pressure. Finances, family, work and social life can all take a toll on the brain and body. And that's just everyday stress. Additional factors such as an exorbitant repair bill, an unexpected illness or the random individual who has made it his life's work to push your buttons, can wreak havoc on the nervous system. But learning to cope with these situations by staying calm, can keep you in control and avoid the pitfalls associated with acting on emotion.

In a recent APA survey 'Calmness under Pressure' was considered the second most important attribute present in the armoury of a PA.

Do you feel under pressure in your job, your life or your relationships. In the latest of its Knowledge Zone series APA has just published a series of tips for PAs to help them increase their own calmness and how to help others around them.

Gareth

Photograph: As a former professional pilot myself I admire enormously the recent performance of Capt. Chesney "Sully" Sullenberger who, under enormous pressure landed his aircraft on the Hudson River without loss of life. Not only a hero but a Master of his Art.

Members should go to the Knowledge Zone in the website for more information.

2 comments:

TC said...

I'm calm under pressure but have to admit there is one area that tests my patience - when technology fails! Although infrequent, I can guarantee that there will be an IT issue at the busiest point of my day - but I find leaving my desk for just 5 minutes works wonders for me.

Gareth, APA said...

Hi TC, I agree with you, why does technology always fail when you are rushing to do conference badges or finish the Board Minutes or send that email before you want to go home. I will ask Colin Minto to write something.

I love the idea of 5 min sabbatical, it's rather like the gap-day (same as the post education gap-year but you can only get as far as Rotherham!).