Saturday 25 April 2009

Open Planning

The first time you move into an open plan office you may find the environment confusing, disabling or downright scary. If you have been used to working in a cell, then moving to a cellular office can appear overpowering and for some it is one freedom too far.

In the open plan office, you co-workers are more accessible. There is the opportunity for more open communication. However, there are some things that make this layout less than ideal. Some of those things are beyond an individual’s control, but there are some things you can do to make life easier for them and for those around you.

APA has written, with external guidance, a useful guide for those who manage an open plan office or employ people and deploy them for the first time into this type of arena. If you don’t have a guide it may prove a useful addition to your staff handbook.

Carly FAPA

APA Members can download a copy from the Knowledge Zone of the Members area of the website.

2 comments:

Betti Gomez De Marco said...

As a PA I hate our open plan office. I am constantly being interupted and find it hard to complete tasks that require me to think through difficult problems. The phrase "I can't hear myself think" best sums up my extreme frustration. I can use my Boss's office when he is out and I get far more done. Has anybody got any tips and suggestions?

Gareth, APA said...

Hi Betti,

I'm not a lover of open plan offices ,myself; probably because I am easily distracted. But I agree that it is important for a PA to have some degree of space to think through difficult tasks (or confidential ones).

The best solution I have seen in a large open plan office was the use of 'hanging signs' supended from the ceiling tile system - with instructions for colleagues like 'making phone calls', 'deep in thought', 'only disturb if you are feeling really brave' and 'I would appreciate not being disturbed'. All produced to a consistant and professional standard so as not to degrade the envirnoment. It was 'policed' by the Office Manager to ensure it wasn't abused or misused.

It seemed to work well.

Others may have better ideas.