Sunday 19 April 2009

Treat me kindly

Hi APA Bloggers,

Well I have to say it's brill to have the opportunity to share my thoughts with you. I have been set up today (thanks to Colin) and had my instructions from Gareth and am ready to go. And so this is my first APA blog.

I have just watched Supernanny USA and heard a fab phrase that really made me laugh, the Mother shouted at one of her kids, who was bullying her younger sister, "Don't torture the Hamster!" It made me think about a recent incident in the office and how one of our juniors was under considerable pressure from others, especially one Manager who was setting the pace. We had to take drastic action and moved the Manager - eventually out of the business.

I hate bullying and wondered if others had good solutions to stop it which we could all share.

Aimee Lewis FAPA

3 comments:

Gareth, APA said...

Hi Aimee,

Great first Blog and here's to many more!

The subject matter is very relevant and I think Supernanny would be a great guru for business. She defines perfectly the difference between positive, assertive,instructional behaviour and bullying. The latter is bad but the former is essential.

Sadly, too many people choose to interpret the former as the latter and sometimes legislations allows it to happen.

Good behavioural policies can be the answer. We will follow this up in other posts.

Gerry Jones said...

I used to have a Hamster, it was cute but extremely vicious and used to turn and bite me after a short session of affection.

The best advice I ever received against Hamster attack was: To lie on the ground and roll into a ball and be patient. Most Hamsters only live for 3 years and the chances are you will out live them.

Anonymous said...

Gerry, great comment. I don't have any answers but I have seen office bullying and I came to the conclusion that the bully was very insecure in their role - or maybe I am just naive!