Thursday 23 April 2009

Light Relief

A bit of trivia I found recently and may serve as an antedote to the Budget!

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.

The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.

Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do. Polar bears are left handed.

Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.

The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley’s gum.

American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating 1 olive from each salad served in first-class.

Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.

Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.

Shelley

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would Polar Bears live longer if they were right-handed? Discuss.

Sandra Brown, JP Morgan said...

I had an apple for breakfast and feel great. I cut out coffee six months ago and have never looked back. I know they say it keeps you awake but I have defo been sleeping better since I stopped drinking it! Can't give up the chocolate though!

TC said...

Sandra, I'm trying to give up coffee but really struggling, what are you drinking instead? I'm trying water and herbal teas!

Sandra said...

Hi TC, this is great, chatting via the blog. I have to admit that I miss coffee everyday and people still make me one automatically which is tres tough but I have probably only succumbed twice since giving up in October and am really pleased with myself. Like you I'm living off water and finding some of the flavoured waters the best, like elderflower which I love, but they are quite sweet.

I also drink herbal teas but tend to favour Twinnings Lemon & Ginger Tea which works for me. I have one in the morning - which perks me up for work - and one in the evening which seems to relax me wonderfully. Sorry I can't be more helpful but if you find anything better please let me know.

I have concluded that nothing gives you the buzz of coffee but that may not be a bad thing!

TC said...

Thanks Sandra, I agree - nice to chat. I've discovered Twinings Raspberry & Echanacea which is okay as long as I drink it hot (so usually leave half a cup). Thanks for the tips - I'm determined to stick with it - I was in danger of becoming addicted to caffeine!